About Me

My photo
Bonn, Germany
20 year-old blogger from Bonn, Germany with a passion for fashion, styling & make up. I love literature (Shakespeare, Goethe, Dostojewski & Tolstoi are a MUST!), traveling, different cultures & meeting new people. Even though I was born in Germany I'm of Romanian descent & proud of it. I'll be posting & blogging about everything I freaking want.

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

A Bosnian HAUL.


Good evening dolls,

In between my posts concentrating on cities & culture I had to put one, which focuses on the more extravagant sides of life. ;-)
Yes - even though I should save my money for moving, I went crazy in Bosnia regarding shopping. You only live once. Besides that I was using money I got from my grandpa and was supposed to spend on a trip. After all - shopping is a part of being on vacation, isn't it? Plus I was also getting some items for my new apartment. I already unpacked most of them and they are now in my first own home, making it look exactly the way I wanted it to look. :-) If I get the chance [meaning: if I have time for it] I will take pictures of my new place where you'll maybe recognize some of the items below.
I love to shop in Bosnia because of the prices, which are way lower than in Germany - even though it is getting more expensive there, too. Besides that I love the fact that they sell a lot of stuff I would never ever find out here & I am not only talking about traditional jewellery or furniture for example [even though that's what I mostly went for this time]. Unfortunately the fact that it is relatively cheap - for instance to someone from Germany - could be a problem since you start spending money really fast & therefore lose it even fast. That's something you always have to take care of. Also, if you go to a bazar, always be careful of scammers. There are a lot who are - like in most places with tourists - more than happy to have someone in there store or near there sales booths who doesn't speak the language or doesn't how things are working. If one of the above applies to you, watch out you'll end up paying way more than the item is actually worth. Also, it is useful to know how to haggle. I am not good at it but I had an ace up my sleeve: Locals who were haggling for me. Always excellent but it's working without them, too. Even I made some pretty good deals this time despite the fact that my Bosnian friends weren't always around.

That's all. I'll stop rambling...

Anyhow: I am >> big haulin' << now. ;-)

Yours,
Lea.

************************************

Tea light & lamp bought in a cute little store next to the Gazi Husrev-beg Mosque.

 Bits & bobs from Međugorje.
Mary, rosary & holy water from Međugorje.

 Tourist map & magnet from Mostar & the Herzegovina-Neretva Canton. I also bought looots of books in Mostar but I got them for my birthday which is why I couldn't take a picture of them. Just two mention two of them (both worth a read!): "This Was Not Our War - Bosnian Woman Reclaiming The Peace" by Swanee Hunt & 'The Story Of Srebrenica - A Novel About The War In Bosnia" by Isnam Taljić.

Information about the "Bosanska Dolina Piramida" in Visoko and a souvenir Haris & Mersija bought for me.

My pride - my new Bosnian coffee service. Handmade and from Sarajevo's famous Baščaršija neighbourhood.



Isn't it beautiful?!


Aaaaaand the matching table. They actually use this size as a stool. The table looks the same, it is just bigger. Unfortunately I haven't had enough money for a big table and thought the little one would do the job as well. PLUS: I have also seen people using this size as a table.

In the same store I bought this amazing mirror. I haven't unpacked it for the pictures since I was moving this Friday.



This is a picture my mom took of me and my wonderful 'shopping-friend' Aida - a woman we met during a tourist tour that day - when we were buying table & mirror.


Noooowww... up next: jewelry ^.^

BTW: ALL of these pieces are either solid gold or silver.

 A traditional Sarajevan bracelet.

I found these babies in the cutest little jewelry store in Sarajevo (one of HUNDREDS!!!).

Me wearing them.

Also from Sarajevo...

 I fell in LOVE with these little jade earrings...

... and the store I bought them in. It's located right in front of the Gazi Husrev-beg Mosque. In my opinion the BEST jewelry stores - in the world - are located near or around it. 

A beautiful set containing a matching pair of earrings, a ring and a pendant I purchased in the beautiful city of Travnik.

The earrings are solid gold, handmade hamsa earrings from a store in Sarajevo. The evil eye is from the same store I bought the set above in. 

The store in Travnik.

And last but not least: Gifts I received from the family :-)

1 comment:

  1. I love the hand ear rings shown in image 16? Where can I buy a set for myself. I had a pair the same from Medjugorje but have lost one and I love them.

    ReplyDelete