About Me

My photo
Bonn, Germany
20 year-old blogger from Bonn, Germany with a passion for fashion, styling & make up. I love literature (Shakespeare, Goethe, Dostojewski & Tolstoi are a MUST!), traveling, different cultures & meeting new people. Even though I was born in Germany I'm of Romanian descent & proud of it. I'll be posting & blogging about everything I freaking want.

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

[Around the world #10], New York City, United States of America. 2013.



Hey everyone,
 

I am back. :)
I've finally recovered from my jet lag, even though I touched down in Germany over a week ago. It was kind of hard to adjust to the CET since my fam and I were in the midst of a theatre production which left us quite sleepless and stressed out. Apart from that there was some personal stuff going on in my family which made us drive to Bremen last Saturday and Sunday even though we had shows on Friday and Sunday.


Anyhow. NYC has been quite an experience. I feel so blessed and grateful. I would have never thought that I would be able to go there - at least not at such a young age. It was truly a dream coming true.
The city is amazing: full of life, full of different people and full of LIGHTS. To be quite honest - it was a bit of an overload at first: All those lights, the traffic, people, HUGE buildings etc. The dimensions alone - no comparison to Europe. Luckily I managed to get used to it and sort of vanished into the "city jungle" (in a good way though) after a couple of days. 


We did a whole bunch of stuff and pretty much ran around from dawn till dusk. ;) Most of the time we left the hotel in Brooklyn for Manhattan around 9 am and got back in the evening (around 7 pm), totally not able to do anything but go to sleep. Honestly: I haven't slept that much in ages. I am kind of sad about not really going out in NYC. The only time we stayed out longer than usual was when we had dinner at Times Square at around 10pm. Well, there could be worse. I'm not 21 anyways and I will come back - for sure.

Despite the fact that we were always on the move we didn't manage to see everything that I/we wanted to see, partly due to a lack of time and sometimes, well, let me just say: not the same interests. Also, there is just too much to do! Another reason why I definitely have to come back: I haven't seen/been to Ellis Island (thanks to Hurricane Sandy), the New York Aquarium, the Russian/Ukrainian neighbourhood in Coney Island (it is actually Brighton Beach), a Broadway show and the Museum of Modern Art (MoMA). I managed to go to the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum as well as the Metropolitan Museum of Modern Art but didn't see all of it. I was basically just rushing through it, mostly because I was the only one who really wanted to go there which put me under pressure. I won't complain though - I just have to save money to go back and do it again.

One thing I was very excited about was meeting two friends of mine, both members of Team Lola Monroe. You know how much I love Lola. (German Team Leader right here. ;)) I finally had the chance to meet the lovely Yolanda (the National Team Leader for TLM) and Angela. Both flew in from Baltimore, just to see us. I've never felt so honoured. They are such sweethearts and exactly the way they appeared to me through messages, conference calls and Skype. Unfortunately we just saw each other for two short days. Nevertheless, we did a lot of things together, for instance: the S.R. Guggenheim Museum, the Met(ropolitan Museum of Art), the Museum of Sex, Top of The Rock (Rockefeller Center), the Empire State Building and Madame Tussauds. Moreover we took the Staten Island Ferry. At first we wanted to take a guided boat ride to Ellis Island as well as the Statue of Liberty. For some reason we ended up on a basic ferry (where we couldn't even take pictures, except one when we got off). Well, we wouldn't have been able to get off due to Sandy anyways. 


Besides all of that we explored entire Manhattan: Times Square & 5th Avenue (SHOPPING), the Juilliard School (my mom's former university :)), Central Park, the World Trade Center Memorial, Union Square, Chinatown, Little Italy, Madison Square Garden, Grand Central, the High Line (a NYC linear park and by far my favourite thing in New York)...

Since we stayed in Brooklyn we also strolled around that borough - of course. It was lovely! If I decided to live in NYC for a couple of weeks/months, it would be in Brooklyn. For some reason it reminds me of Cologne. Don't ask me why. I'm probably the only one who sees a connection here. I was so thrilled to see the Barclays Center (JAY-Z!!!!!) and all those little boutiques. One day we decided to hop on the subway and drive to Coney Island and then to Brighton Beach since there is a big Russian/Ukrainian community (as mentioned before). Unfortunately the weather was crap and it would have been a super long walk so we passed.

On our last day we visited the United Nations Headquarters and took a guided tour. I've got a lot of useful information, also regarding work, internships etc.
For the first time ever all of the stuff I had to learn for my A levels came in quite handy.

The thing about America is - well, probably about NYC - that it is not at all cheap. Food is super-duper expensive and made me bleed money like crazy. Furthermore the fact that the taxes are added to the "normal" price is kind of irritating for e.g. Germans. The entrance fees for pretty much everything are also expensive which is why I would recommend a "New York Pass" which allows you to visit most of the attractions, museums etc. The price is quite high but it's definitely worth it.

Besides that: Don't take a cab or a regular car unless absolutely necessary. Take the subway. It will take you everywhere.

As much as I loved NYC, the "little part" of the States, I have seen so far I could NEVER imagine living out there - at least not for a long time. I guess I love Europe too much. I would always come back. America is just too big, too - in some way - impersonal and I don't get a long with the way some people act (well I do, but not that well).
I am still more than happy to have experienced what I did. Like I said: I will most definitely come back as soon as I have the money for it - and from then on continue to come back from time to time. I mean to see way more of America.

Even though I literally took thousands of pictures there aren't many of myself and I did not take any fashion-related pictures on purpose, though there are some I can use for a post which will probably be up by tomorrow night.
Of course I went MAD when it came to shopping. I got quite a few things and thought I'd do a haul, a little different from my previous ones though. Most of the stuff I bought are items you can throw on/wear. I plan on putting them all together in one single fashion-related post. 

On that note: Enjoy the pictures - even though it's just a very small collection of the ones I took.

Yours, 
Lea.

P.S. Target traumatised me. Don't go there.


******

Brooklyn
**
Coney Island...

 ***
Staten Island
*
Staten Island Ferry, South Ferry Terminal

***
Manhattan
 *
 5th Avenue
 *
The Rockefeller Center...
 ... and Plaza.
*
 *
 Juilliard, my mom's former university.
*
*
 The Flatiron Building
*
Union Square (Park).
 *
 The Chelsea area...
*
 Grand Central.
*
 *
MADISSSSOOOON!
*
**
Times Square
**
The High Line
**
The view from the Empire State Building
**
Top of the Rock Observation Deck
**
The Metropolitan Museum of Art
**
Madame Tussauds
*
Where you'll fine me in a couple of years.. ;)
 *
Rosa Parks
 *
Me & Yolanda with Angelina and Brad. ;)
 *
I finally had the chance to meet two of the loveliest girls from TLM. I was so EXCITED!
 *
Oh Woody!
*
 *
 Beyoncé did not look like Beyoncé. IJS.
 **
Chinatown
 **
United Nations Headquarters
*
United Nations Security Council
 *
 *
Italy's gift to the UN.
 *
General Assembly of the United Nations
**
Enjoying Central Park...
***

The End.

******

No comments:

Post a Comment